UPSC IAS SYLLABUS & EXAM PATTERN 2021
UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION (UPSC) Inviting Online Application Form for the Recruitment of Civil Services Preliminary Examination IAS & Indian Forest Services IFS Post 2021.
There is a common UPSC syllabus pattern for services such as the Indian Administrative Service, Indian Foreign Service, Indian Police Service, Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise) to name a few. However, different stages of the IAS exam have different syllabi. The UPSC Prelims syllabus focuses on general and societal awareness which is tested by objective-type (MCQ) questions. The UPSC Mains syllabus is much more comprehensive as this stage comprises nine theory papers.
The Civil services exam is conducted in three phases:
- Phase 1: Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination (Objective Type)
- Phase 2: Civil Services (Mains) Examination (Descriptive Type)
- Phase 3: Personal Interview (Personality Test)
Phase 1: UPSC Prelims Exam (400 Marks)
The Preliminary Examination is composed of two components:
|I||General Studies (GS)||200||2 hours|
- (i) Both the question papers will be of the objective type (multiple choice questions) and each will be of two hours duration.
- (ii) The General Studies Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%.
- (iii) The question papers will be set both in Hindi and English.
- (iv) Questions that are not attempted will not attract any negative marks.
UPSC IAS Syllabus Prelims Exam :
- Syllabus for GS Paper (Prelims Paper I)
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialisation.
- General Science
- Syllabus for CSAT Paper (Prelims Paper II)
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
Phase 2: UPSC Mains Exam (1750 Marks)
- The Mains examination constitutes the 2nd phase of the Civil Services Examination. Only after successfully qualifying in the prelims exam would the candidates be allowed to write the IAS Mains.
- The UPSC Mains exam consists of 9 papers, out of which two are qualifying papers of 300 marks each.
- The two qualifying papers are:
- Any Indian Language
- English Language Paper
The papers on Essay, General Studies and Optional Subject of only such candidates who attain 25% marks in both the language papers as a minimum qualifying standard in these qualifying papers, will be taken cognizance of, for evaluation.
In case a candidate does not qualify in these language papers, then the marks obtained by such candidates will not be considered or counted.
QUALIFYING PAPERS ON INDIAN LANGUAGES AND ENGLISH
The aim of the paper is to test the candidates’ ability to read and understand serious discursive prose, and to express his ideas clearly and correctly, in English and Indian language concerned. The pattern of questions would be broadly as follows :
- (i) Comprehension of given passages.
- (ii) Précis Writing.
- (iii) Usage and Vocabulary.
- (iv) Short Essays.
- Indian Languages:-
- (i) comprehension of given passages.
- (ii)Précis Writing.
- (iii) Usage and Vocabulary.
- (iv) Short Essays
- (v)Translation from English to the Indian Language and vice-versa.
The rest of the seven papers can be written in any of the languages mentioned under the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution of India or in English.
UPSC IAS Mains Syllabus
|Paper – I||Essay (can be written in the medium of the candidate’s choice)||250|
|Paper – II||General Studies – I (Indian Heritage & Culture, History & Geography of the World & Society)||250|
|Paper – III||General Studies – II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice & International Relations)||250|
|Paper – IV||General Studies – III (Technology, Economic Development, Biodiversity, Security & Disaster Management)||250|
|Paper – V||General Studies – IV (Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude)||250|
|Paper – VI||Optional Subject – Paper I||250|
|Paper – VII||Optional Subject – Paper II||250|
|Sub Total (Written Test)||1750|
- The papers on Indian languages and English (Paper A and paper B) will be of Matriculation or equivalent standard and will be of qualifying nature
- Marks obtained by the candidates for the Paper I-VII only will be counted for merit ranking.
List of optional subjects for Main Examination :
(ii) Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
(vi) Civil Engineering
(vii) Commerce and Accountancy
(ix) Electrical Engineering
(xvi) Mechanical Engineering
(xvii) Medical Science
(xx) Political Science and International Relations
(xxii) Public Administration
(xxvi) Literature of any one of the languages
|Interested Candidate Can Read the Full Notification Before Online.|
|APPLY ONLINE||Click Here|
|FOR MORE DETAILS/HELP||Click Here|
|PAY EXAM FEE||Click Here|
|RE PRINT FORM||Click Here|
|OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION||IAS | IFS|
|OFFICIAL WEBSITE||Click Here|
|UPSC PREVIOUS PAPERS||Click Here|
|MORE GOVT. JOBS||Click Here|