A Voter ID Card, also known as the Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) is a photo identity card that is issued by the Election Commission of India to all individuals who are eligible to vote.
The primary purpose of this card is to improve the accuracy of the electoral roll and preventing electoral fraud are the main purpose of this card. Additionally, it also serves as an identification proof when individual’s cast their vote. Here are more details about Voter ID Card or the EPIC Card.
What is EPIC Number in a Voter ID Card?
EPIC (Electors Photo Identity Card) number is the voter ID number issued by the Election Commission of India (ECI). EPIC number is a unique set of letters and numbers that works as identity proof for Indian nationals who are above the age of 18. It also allows Indian nationals to cast votes in various elections conducted in the country. The EPIC number can be found on the voter ID card. It’s right above the top of your photo on your voter identification card.
How to Find EPIC Number Online?
Here are the steps to find your EPIC number:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of Electoral Commission of India
- Step 2: Click on ‘Electoral Search’ option
- Step 3: Fill in the required details
- Step 4: Enter the captcha code
- Step 5: Click on ‘EPIC Number Search’ option
A list of names will be displayed, and individuals need to find out their EPIC number from that list.
How to Apply for a Voter ID Card Online?
The following are steps to download Voter ID card online:
- Step 1: Visit the official portal of Voter Service
- Step 2: Create a login account
- Step 3: Select and fill in the form as per your requirement
- Step 4: Upload all the required documents including photograph
- Step 5: Click on ‘Submit’
What Forms are Required for applying a Voter ID Online?
The following are the types of forms required for applying for online Voter ID depending upon specific condition:
- Form 6: New Voter ID and shift of constituency
- Form 6A: NRI voter election card application
- Form 8: Change in personal details such as address, photo, age, name, date of birth, etc.
- Form 8A: Change of address from one constituency to another
How to Apply for a Voter ID Card Offline?
- You will need to fill two copies of Form 6. The form is available at offices of Booth Level Officers and Electoral Registration Officers / Assistant Electoral Registration Officers. The form is available free of cost.
- When you visit the Electoral Registration Officer / Assistant Electoral Registration Officer, the filled forms and documents must be provided. You can also send them via post to the Booth Level Officer.
- In case of any queries, you can call 1950.
Who Rolls Out the Digital Voter ID Card?
National Voters’ Day is celebrated on 25 January and the Election Commission of India (ECI) launched the digital voter ID card, also known as Electronic Electoral Photo Identity Card (e-EPIC), on this day in 2021. The e-EPIC is similar to the e-Aadhar and is available in the PDF format which cannot be further edited. Individuals applied for Voter ID cards in and after November and December 2021 will be issued with digital Voter ID cards. Individuals can also download duplicate cards by paying a fee of Rs.25, in case they have lost their old Voter ID card.
How to Download Voter ID using EPIC Number?
The following are the steps to download Voter ID card using EPIC number:
- Step 1: Visit the portal of Election Commission of India- voterportal.eci.gov.in.
- Step 2: Create an account
- Step 3: On the homepage, select ‘Download e-EPIC‘ option
- Step 4: Enter either your e-EPIC number
- Step 5: Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number
- Step 6: Click on ‘Download EPIC Online’ to complete the process
If the mobile number that has been mentioned on your card is different, then you will need to complete the Know Your Customer (KYC) process and then download the voter ID card.
- If you have misplaced your e-EPIC number, then, you can check for it at voterportal.eci.gov.in.
- Your digital voter ID card can be generated through the mobile voter app.
- Download the app from the app store and follow the instructions mentioned in the app
What Documents are Required for Voter ID Card?
While applying for a Voters ID, you have to submit the following documents:
- Identity Proof.
- Address Proof.
Voter ID Card Eligibility
In order to apply for/obtain a Voter’s ID card, individuals must conform to the following criteria:
- You must be Indian citizen.
- Applicant must not be below 18 years of age.
- Permanent address.
- You must be a resident of the polling area of the constituency where you wish to be enrolled.
- You must not be disqualified as an elector.
How to Track Voter ID Application Status Online?
The step-by-step procedure to track your Voter ID application status online is mentioned below:
- Visit Voter Service Official Website.
- Click on ‘Track Application Status’.
- Enter the Reference ID and click on ‘Track Status’.
- The details will be displayed on the next page.
What to do if your Voter ID Card is not Received?
If the voter id verification process is taking time and you haven’t received the card after the application, you are recommended to visit the DEO with your reference number.
How to Verify Voter ID?
Individuals can verify the Voter ID by checking the details on the Electoral Roll. You can visit the official website of National Voters Services Portal and click on ‘Search in Electoral Roll’. You can either provide various personal details or check the Electoral Roll by providing the EPIC Number.
How to Vote without Voter ID Card?
To be eligible to vote in India, a person has to register himself or herself as a registered voter. The person can either register for the same offline or can visit the election commission website and get registered there. If the person is already a registered voter, then he or she can vote without the voter ID card. The following list of documents are accepted in case the person does not have his or her voter ID:
- Driving license
- Service Identity Cards with photographs issued to employees by Central, State Govt, Public Sector Undertakings, Public Limited Companies.
- Passbooks with Photograph issued by a post office or a bank.
- PAN card
- Aadhar card
- Address card along with photo of the applicant, issued by Department of Post, Government of India
- Smart Card issued by Registrar General of India (RGI) under the National Population Register
- Pension order with a photo
- MNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act Job Card)
- Health Insurance Smart Card issued under the scheme of the Ministry of Labour
- Official identity cards issued to MPs, MLCs, MLAs, etc.
How to Change Old Voter ID Card to a New One?
With the government coming up with the concept of e-EPIC voter ID, people who possess the old voter IDs can get the new one by logging on to the national voters’ service portal using the username and password. You need to register yourself first before being able to use the facility to download the e-EPIC.
How to Correct Details in the Voter ID Card?
In case, you want to make necessary changes in the voter ID, you can do so by visiting the online national voters’ service portal or by visiting the nearest election office. In order to make the necessary changes, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
How to Correct Details in the Voter ID Card?
- Step 1: Visit National Voters Service Portal
- Step 2: Login using the username and password
- Step 3: Fill out ‘Form 8’
- Step 4: Submit it along with the supporting documents
- Step 5: Once it is done, the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) will process the application.
What Does the Voter ID Card Contain?
The Voter ID that is issued by the Election Commission of India to all eligible Voters comprises of the below-mentioned fields:
- A hologram sticker.
- Serial number.
- Photograph of the card holder.
- Name of elector card holder.
- Card holder’s parent’s Name.
- Card holder’s gender.
- Elector’s / card holder’s age as on the date of issue of the card.
- The individual’s complete address is mentioned on the rear side of the card along with the authority’s signature.
Uses of an Election Card or Voter ID Card
The Voter ID can be used for the below-mentioned purposes:
- The card serves as an accepted form of personal identity.
- The Voter ID Card acts as an acknowledgement that the card holder is a registered voter.
- The card includes several identification features like the applicant’s signature, photograph, fingerprints, etc., which provide added assurance for the card holder.
- In case of an election, the card carries provisions (by way of marking) to prevent the holder from voting multiple times.
- The Voter ID card can be designed to suit electoral requirements of a population with low literacy population.
- It is especially helpful as a form of identification for voters with no fixed address.
Importance of a Voter ID or Election Card
The Voter ID Card is an important document for Indian citizens for a variety of reasons. Some of them are:
- Proof of Identity – The Voter ID card is an important document for Indian citizens as it is a valid form of an identification proof. The Voter ID card is accepted at various offices and institutions that require the individual to furnish a valid form of identification. Also, almost all government run agencies, insurance providers, claim firms, mortgage providers like banks ask applicants to provide a Voter ID number in order to process their request.
- Casting Votes – The Voter ID card is essential if you wish to cast your vote during any election. If you hold a valid Voter ID card and your name is present in the electoral roll of your local area, you can cast your vote.
- Registration in Electoral Roll of a Non-Domicile State – The Voter ID serves yet another purpose of allowing individuals to register their name in the electoral roll of a state other than their state of domicile. This is especially helpful if a person has migrated from another state and wishes to enrol in the electoral list of his local area / constituency.
Voter ID Card Online Link
|JOIN TELEGRAM PAGE
|MORE GOVT. UPDATE
Voter ID Card Important FAQs
What is age declaration in Form 6?
As per the age declaration in Form 6, any applicant who turns 18 as per January 1 of the year in which he or she has applied for a voter ID.
How long does it take to get voter ID?
It takes about 5 to 7 weeks for the applicant to receive the voter ID after applying for one.
How long does it take to change address in voter ID?
It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks for the changes to be made in the voter ID after the applicant has applied for the changes.
How can I change my constituency in voter ID?
In order to change the constituency, fill Form 8A. You can either submit the form online or offline to the electoral office near you.
How can I change my voter ID address?
In order to change the voter ID address, fill form 8A and then submit it to either the electoral office near you or online.
Can I change my voter registration address online?
Yes, the voter registration address can be changed online.
Can I download a soft copy of my voter ID?
No, a soft copy of the voter ID cannot be downloaded.
Can I still vote if I can’t find my voter registration card?
No, in order to be eligible to vote, the voter should possess the voter registration card or voter ID on the polling day.
Can a non-Citizen of India become a voter?
A person who is a Non-Resident Indian is eligible to vote in the elections.
What is field verification in voter ID?
In field verification, the Booth Level Officer (BLO) will visit the residential address of the applicant to verify the information.
What documents do I need to submit as proof of residence?
As proof of residence, you need to submit a copy of your passport, utility bill, such as gas bill, electricity bill, or water bill, Aadhar card, Ration card, and bank passbook.
What is an epic national identification number?
The epic national identification number is a unique set of letters and numbers that helps identifying the citizenship and identity of the individual. This number is used during the election and helps in authenticating the age and address of the individual, which is also a part of the portal document format of EPIC.
Is Aadhaar accepted as address proof for voter ID?
Yes, Aadhar is a valid proof of address for voter ID card apart from utility bills, ration card, bank passbook, and photocopy of passport.
What is the official name of voters Class 9?
Officially, in a democratic election the list of eligible candidates is known as Electoral Roll and or commonly known as ‘Voter’s List’.
What is the minimum age of voting in India?
The minimum voting age for Indian citizen is 18 years. The minimum voting age was 21 years previously, which was amended through 61st Amendment Act, 1988 of the Constitution. The R.P. Act, 1950 was amended and has been made effective from 28 March 1989.
What is voting class 7?
Voting is the process through Indian citizens exercise their fundamental right to vote for selecting a representative to run the government. The contest is conducted among several candidates belonging from different political parties.
How can I download e-EPIC, if I lose my EPIC?
To download your e-EPIC, visit either voter portal or electoral search. Search for your name from any of the above links and note your corresponding EPIC number, then download e-EPIC.
Can I download e-EPIC, if I have form-6 reference number and not the EPIC number?
Yes, you can download your e-EPIC even if you do not have your EPIC number. The download of e-EPIC number can be done using the form-6 reference number.